Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Powdery mildew

Apologies for the lack of updates of late. Anyway…

It is still hot and humid here in Burgundy. In the past month we’ve had just two days below 26ºC (80ºF)! As I write it is 35ºC (95ºF)… and hence I am inside seeking shelter from the sun.

The vines are looking good. The flowering passed at record speed and the bunches are now fully formed. I’m all excited because my vines have quite a bit of millerandage (tiny, seedless berries) this year. At harvest-time these small berries are sweeter than average and have a higher skin/juice ratio, both of which should be good for the wine.

My only slight concern is the growing presence of powdery mildew (see photo of me spraying above…). Just in case you are now thinking that you don’t want to drink a wine made from sprayed grapes… ALL grapes are regularly sprayed against fungal diseases. Organic producers are limited to natural (i.e. non-synthesised) products (sulphur in the case of this photo), which are without consequence for even the heaviest drinker! Unfortunately organic sprays are also rather less effective than the ‘conventional’ chemical alternatives…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home